Friday, January 28, 2011

Movie: THE LAST AIRBENDER (Part 2)

The Following contains a LOT, INSANE, AWE INSPIRING AMOUNT of SPOILERS, so if you have not seen this movie, then please avoid or read at your own discretion.  Just to say again.  If you have not seen this movie, then you will pretty much have read it all by the end of this Review.  Okay good?  Good.

So lets get on with it!

I hope the whole thing is this good!














This review is looking at M Night Shyamalan's 'The Last Airbender' as an individual stand alone movie without it being compared to the source material. (That'll come later). Yes I did see this in theatres, we'll hear about that a bit more in the last Review. 
Aaand we're back!

So they finally are at the Northern Water Tribe, which is big and robust, and has a whole city of pretty pretty ice.

Oooo Icy!












 
 
I know others have mentioned this in their reviews but I also have to admit that from the back Yue does have a bad case of Penis Hair.

Uh... whut?














So they have arrived. So far no talking yet, and we get another montage of sorts with voice over. Katara says they presented themselves to the royal court and after an awkwardly lengthened pause, we learn that the Princess and Sokka became 'friends' right away. Now I am sure, from the reaction shots that are happening that this will come into play later on. Like if Sokka sacrifices himself or if she does it.

Another thing I don’t quite get is that, okay this isn’t really a montage, it's just showing them getting to the court and Katara talking which we don't hear (Since it's being voiced over by Katara) then Aang showing off his air bending powers. 

In awe of each other.














So we had narration that they arrived, that Sokka and Yue wanna bang each other, and that Aang had been accepted to train in Water bending. Is there really nothing else to recap? Aren't we just sitting here SEEING all of this happening? Are we really at risk of not figuring it out for ourselves? Really? Also with all the pauses and lengths of time without her speaking it's almost like she's having to think of what else to mention.

Since the scene is moving on at the pace that a scene normally would,we don’t get to see Yue and Sokka together in their own little montage when the subject comes up. That is the only point of this whole thing that could be said should have more imagery. If they had changed the order of things, it could have worked, AND displayed time passing.

First mention how they arrived, while showing them arriving and then Aang doing air bending. At which time it's mentioned that after proving he was the Last Airbender, they would teach him. THEN you have 'all the while, Yue and Sokka became friends' or something, that's better written but you get the idea. Where we have a montage of just a few scenes of them being together, to get the idea that time has passed. I know with how she's talking time has passed, or I HOPE it has, but there's no real context. I just feel that this, could have been done better. This scene has been done better in other movies. I'm not saying someone should just rip off someone else's scene but there are times when it just comes down to saying 'WHY is this so poorly done when so many movies AND shows have done it well?'

Okay so then we get some information about their battle strategy, which sounds all good. Make sure not too many get into their city, fight them off till night fall when the Water Bending is at it's best and then beat them all up. Good and easy!

Furrowing his brow in a vain attempt to understand the situation.












 
 
I know Yue is the Princess and all, but is she a battle princess? Why is she here for this briefing? Could Sokka not just hear everything and then go and tell her? Though I suppose if that happened then I'd be asking 'why wasn't she just there to save us the scene?' Anyway she's here and Sokka has put himself up to be her body guard. Saying that nothing will happen to Yue while all this is going on.

I also can tell that this should be a more 'blatant' scene in a way in that, we should know, as we've been told, that Yue and Sokka are now friends. Good ones in fact, enough where Sokka is going to risk his life to protect the princess. It's not like he knows what's going to happen, or if people will try to assassinate her. Sadly this has no real caring in it since it feels like one stranger saying 'sure' to watching over another. We have no chemistry with these two. Sure they made 'the eyes' at each other before that that's it. This is the next time we see them and the first time we see them standing together. There is supposed to be a relationship in here somewhere but right now, I'm not feeling anything because the information pertaining to this was just so ham handed.

On the 'Protect Yue' note... These people just know that the Fire Nation is most likely going to come to their home due to Aang. They don't know for sure, but thinking ahead is a GOOD thing. Also, why is she only going to have one guard? I know that a battle is going to be happening but this is just like Zhao leaving too few guards guarding Aang. This is the PRINCESS, do you really want to leave her in just the hands of a single person? What happens if Sokka dies? Where's the back up person? He isn't even an adult yet. Surely there's SOME seasoned adult who you would trust to watch Yue. Also, why wouldn’t she just be with her father and mother? We haven't heard anything about them, so just as there's a chance that they're not there, there's the same chance that they are. Is the whole family going to be out there fighting? Or is the Queen and King going to be in the panic room while their precious daughter is running around with Sokka during the battle?

I also want to comment on the guy in the back between Sokka and Yue it's a very 'You want us to do what?' face. 

Fire Lord: I have heard no word of my son for quite some time. Do you know where he is.














... Let me get this straight.

Movie are you trying to tell me that the FIRE LORD doesn't know that his son blew up? I KNOW his son is banished but you'd think someone would have somehow gotten word to him that his baby boy went kaboom. Though I suppose this does answer my question of how Zhao got away with it with the Fire Lord. Because he actually did just get away with it.

Zhao is playing it that he just hasn't heard anything, and that he's sure word will come in soon on Zuko's whereabouts. So he's not about to admit that he killed the Lords boy after promising not to harm him. So he does have some smarts. But what would have happened had the Lord gotten wind of this? If Iroh had sent a note to his brother telling him what had happened? Did Zhao only hope that nobody did that? Or did he have to some how plant/pay off someone to make sure that no mail got to the Fire Lord that spoke of Zuko? But then that would leave people who knew such a thing, which meant that he'd either have to kill them afterwards or black mail them with more than what the punishment would be if the Fire Lord ever found out that his mail was being screened.

The Fire Lord looks so uncomfortable in his clothes.













 
His royalty there, has a plan. Thanks to the deciphered scrolls they know where the Moon and Ocean spirits are.

So his master plan is to go and 'eliminate the spirits', take the city and they will have beat Aang. This is going to be important in just a bit. But he never says 'kill only the Moon spirit' this man said spirits. With a big fat 'S' at the end, as in both. 

Pollution? What is that?












 
 
So the Fire nation is heading out in it's ships! I'm sure this isn't all of them, but just one dock of many. Still by this shot you'd think that only four were heading out, or maybe five if you count the one way off to the left.

YAAY! Now we have a lesson on Water! 

What is water?... No you fools it's H20! Not this 'Element of Change' you're talking about!












 
 
So the key to water bending is unleashing your emotions wherever they may go and let your emotions flow like water. Okay so of course this is going to be Aang's turn. Seeing as how he hasnt' sparred in a few days. I Know everyone has to be taught but seriously? He's the Avatar, for all they know, the old man teaching them now will be dead after the Fire Nation gets here. Shouldn't Aang be.. well sparing a little more? Not to encourage favouritism or anything but, he IS the Freakin Avatar who will restore balance to the world in what not. I think anyone jealous is already going to be for that. Or the fact that Aang can wear normal clothes and not be freezing to death.

Okay. If ANYONE was going to be not wearing warm clothes, you'd think it would be the fire Benders who could, some how warm up the air around them and stay warm. How is Aang not dead? The whole freakin' place is built from Ice, and they're all dressed in what look like thicker clothes. Is Aang constantly air bending to stay warm? And somehow we just don't see it? Is he perpetually 'warm' now that he's not frozen in a block of ice, and anything shy of that won't kill him? Is everyone else on the planet just wimps for not toughing it out? I want some sort of explanation as to why of ALL the people we've seen, why the little 12 year old with the bald head isn’t dead.

ICE FORTRESS!












 
 
Besides the teachers initial attack that was fast, I find this whole fight very slow. I know they're just learning these things, but still. When I think of sparing, I think of something faster than what they're showing. Especially when it's the teacher, yeah 'go easy' is something he might do, but then again, war is heading their way. One should be trying to kick his ass with water. Since, I'm pretty sure the Fire Nation wont just stand there and be like 'Hey that was a good try! To ahead and try again kid.'. Though with how some of these guys are, I wouldn't be surprised if one stopped and wondered how the kid who was just air bending was now water bending. Then he'd probably say 'He's the Avatar!' well No shit.

So after the fight, we find ourselves back with Mr. Awesome, Zhao.

I could kill you in SO many ways right now.












 
 
Once again Zhao is mentioning things that I would assume are of a more 'sensitive nature'. Yes, go right ahead and tell The Fire Lords Brother that his failure at the 100 day siege of Ba Sing Se will not be held against him. Geebus what a dick.

And now go right ahead and bring up the mans dead son. I think I've finally figured it out. Zhao must think that he is immortal.

Of course he'd bring up how Iroh's nephew burned to death. Not even 'I'm sorry he died' but 'I'm sorry he burned to death'. Might as well be saying 'Sorry he burned to death, I'm sure it was very painful for him. Did you find his body? Was it extra crispy?'

By the way, this scene is filled with what I like to think of as 'death looks' from Iroh. The man thinking of all the ways to murder this man. Which he wouldn't do since he is a good man. Still, you can see it in his eyes that he's hoping for horrible things to happen to Zhao.

Some of my soldiers say they could hear him screaming in agony.












 
 
We are now 1 hour into this movie which means we have 43 minutes left. Though the rest of this movie takes place in one grand location, so I'm sure it'll pass by pretty quick... unless something happens.

I have to say again that Iroh is a good man, or he must be. If I were him I would have kicked Zhao's royal jackassyness off the freakin ship. I'm the damn Fire Lords brother, I'd pull rank. Or just say he slipped and burned his own face off. The soldiers would believe it, surely.

Alone at last.












 
 
Finally we get to see an actual scene of Sokka and Yue. A little too late, but it is something. You get an idea of what could have been, and fleeting feelings of how we're supposed to feel about these two.

So they have a whole scene together, and Sokka says that his grand mother will ask him a lot of questions. We learn in this rare exchange of actually asking and telling things in a promptly manner that Yue got her white hair from the Moon Spirit because it saved her life.

About this scene, she says that when she was born, she wasn't moving and didn't make a sound. And that her parents prayed for days... Was she, born in a coma? Is this something that can happen to newborns? Since she sounds fairly dead... So after all the praying they dipped her into the water and BOOM! She was alive and crying and her hair had turned white.

I'm curious about a lot of things. Why not just take her there after she was born, and dip her in after some praying? She doesn't mention that her parents 'got a sign' or anything to do this. Not even a feeling that it was time. They pray for days and then just took her there on their own accord. 

Oh. My. GOD!













 
This seems to confirm that Nobody notices anything. Seriously, Zuko is as covered up as he had been in the Blue Spirit outfit. Hell, I know these helmets, I think more of his face is reviled in the helmet than it was when he was wearing a full mask. But has anyone noticed? Noooo. Clearly nobody screens who's coming onto the ship. Surely Zhao could just look in Zuko's direction and be like 'YOU!'. Since he did it so easily with the Blue Spirit. Since of course, NOBODY else would ever know that they had gotten the Avatar, or would try to free said avatar if they did find out.

Also I have learned that even for as awkward as it sounds to me, the word 'sacredness' is indeed a word. It just stuck out to me, and I have learned something new. Bravo movie!

Anway, if we didn’t know if already then we've just learned why Zuko is here. To fetch himself the avatar so then he can finally live in peace.

It is then, we see that black... well gray snow is falling to the ground and everyone takes notice.

Yue... are you up to date on your life insurance? I dunno. Just got a feeling you should be.














Booo! The Fire Nation has finally arrived. Unnoticed, Zuko takes a little boat and flees into the... daylight. Guess it would be too late for him to go in the heat of battle during the night. After some advice about chi warming and keeping himself covered up, Zuko flees away to get into the Northern Water Kingdom.

Arctic Zombie!












 
 
I know it's only one guy, but you'd think that if it were this easy for one determined prince to get inside without anyone noticing that the whole army could do it. I know one man is different than a group but... seriously? He just swam. Mind you he has no armor now or other protection besides his clothes, but he got in!

Now that the Fire Nation boats are seen, the group of youths fleee. Since of course, Aang doesn't have a body guard of any kind. Since hell, he's the Last Airbender and he's the worlds only hope. Might as well not have anyone else trying to protect him since, only his group of friends would be able to keep up with him anyway and not loose him in a crowed.
They get to the spiritual place so Aang can meditate and talk to the Spirit dragon he needs to. Yue and Sokka leave, because suddenly Yue says that she has to 'get back'. Sokka having to says that he'll take her. I kinda want to know where Yue has to go. Could she not have added something to her single sentence? Maybe to fill in why she now has to go? Instead of sticking around here with Sokka and Katara? Then Katara says that she'll stay with him, meaning that there was a chance that they would have just left Aang here to meditate.

Aang... can you hear me?













 
Katara even looks back to see that they're gone before she begins to talk to Aang. Dammit Katara, he just started to meditate. Why are you bothering him? Do you know what meditation entails? Then right before she finishes saying her sentance to Aang about believing that he'd always return... look who shows up!

Get ready for the dance off!












 
 
Wow Zuko found this place quickly. Did Iroh give him directions before he left? Or did he just follow his heart and find this place? And where did he change his clothes? Was he wearing that under his white outfit?  

Oh yeah, I'm doin' it!














Okay, this place is all green grass with some rock here and there. But it all looks pretty damn healthy. Which brings me to this question.

What is he lighting on fire? Green grass? Holy hell. I thought it was the little bag he had at first but nooo, it's behind his leg still. Apparently the water Nation either needs a better gardener in this lovely area of green grass or needs to stop watering with kerosene. Also... how is there fire already behind him. He just touched the grass with it. Sure there's the idea that he 'dumped out' whatever was in it, But I didn’t see him flinging it out behind him like that little spot of fire would indicate he did.

Insta-Bending's back and it's back with a vengeance! They don't really do any flourishes this entire time. I also thought that this would be a pretty cool fight. I dunno, she's a main character, he's a main character, but apparently she's a woman and they don't do much. He threw a 'punch' she blocked. He threw another, she blocked again and finally he throws 'two' punches, and she can only block one. 

Can she not see it coming?














It's a HUGE ball of Fire!












 
 
Fine so she can't block both, I can get that. But WHY can't she move off of this spot that she is seemingly stuck to? Can't she block and back up while doing it? Does she HAVE to remain in this SINGLE spot? Well whatever the reason is... Katara looses, with a huge fireball to the face that somehow has the force to send her SAILING into a tree, but doesn't have any burning power to, ya know. ACTUALLY Burn her. 

Whoaaa Molesto Pete, calm it down.













 
Being the gentleman he is, Zuko does set her back up but what else is he doing? He's moving his hands or things on her chest. Is he like, opening up her shirt? Moving her hair would be one thing, there would be a motion of that, like brushing it over her shoulder in a more sweeping gesture. I do not see that being what he's doing. WHY is the Prince still touching her once he's set her up? Maybe his uncle is right, he does need to get himself a girl.

An elf and a dwarf should be somewhere in this shot.













 
So the Battle of Hornbur-I mean The Northern Water Nation begins!

Wow that's a lot of ships...














Nice to know the Fire Nation puts more work into getting the Avatar than keeping him. If Zhao is any indication. Still, I'm pretty sure they have a good chance of getting him, what with all the ships. Pretty sure that something that big can just get up a bunch of ramming speed.

This is also a curiosity, do these people not have archers? Or was all the arching ability in the world shoved into that one guys shot when he hit Zuko in the face with the arrow?

So we learn that Iroh considers it a great honor to meet a Spirit since Zhao admits to him that there is actually something he's NOT said. Which is that he has a secret, and knows the location of the Moon and Ocean spirits.

While this is going on, the Fire Nation is getting it's troops deployed, as people in this position tend to do.

Could you maybe NOT aim right at the poor man climbing up the wall on his Lizard Mount?














I know he's a fire bender and that he will be using it once he's up there... but it just looks like someone in charge of sending the huge balls of fire into the Water Nation, has something against this man. I'm sure this lizard also has a good grip on this icy wall, still... falling off and into the depths of the icy ocean wouldn't be good for someone in armor. I'll allow that it's near heat and was just inside a toasty ship, but how cold must it be right now for this lizard? It's a lizard, in an environment of snow. Or, it's just a hearty lizard. Though I suppose if the man stays up there right next to the fire on his steed and sends down fire balls, as he does, then his mount wont decide to just curl up and sleep.

What are these? Little drill helmets?

  












I'm not sure of how else they'd get inside, but if they broke in under the ice, why isn't everyone wet? Is the Water Kingdom sitting up above water level so under this ice isn't water? Or just a huge expanse of Ice? Is that why they had to use the Drill things, and Zuko had to swim it and melt his way in?

So Sokka and Yue come back to find Katara on the ground. Where they went and WHY they had to leave is a mystery. It's not like we saw anything, or are hearing about what they did while they were away.

We also see that Zuko, CAN put someone down and just back off. He just did it here, with Aang. It's not some kind of reflex or something to straighten up clothes apparently. But her he is, he has his prey. Now what he does with him is another story. He can't leave the way he came in right? Aang would drown if he got tossed into water right now right?

Zuko then says 'just wait until everyone is fighting everyone'. What are they doing right now then? Dancing? Well with some of the bending, yeah yoiu can say it's dancing, but... how much more fighting does there have to be? ALL of these people would take notice of him fleeing with a body, or a bag that looked like it had a body in it. Then he says at night they'll slip out. Since nobody is going to be happy with him, wouldn't it be smart to go now? Before the water Benders are all powerful from the night? Right now everyone is more or less evenly matched.

As with every villain, our Hero, catches him monologue and tries to make his escape!

Zuko, you're a bright boy but dammit. WHY didn't you tie Aang's legs up while you were at it? Seriously why not? Yes, when they first met, Aang used his powers to flee around them, but RUNNING is a big part of what Aang does. Did he not have enough rope? Did he only bring enough to bind his hands? Then why not take off the, red thing that's on your uniform and tie him up more. This is your way to get back home. Seriously, WHY are these people leaving so much to chance?

Well... wasn't expecting THAT to happen!














Also this does bring up an interesting question. If they killed Aang and he was reborn again... so what? It would take what, years for the Avatar to start doing their thing? WHY is it so bad, for Aang to die? He'll DIE eventually right? Why does he HAVE to stay alive? Unless they were going to purposefully USE him in some way, like, to get somewhere that ONLY an Airbender could get to, I do not see the point of not killing him.

We get some more information, Iroh has now learned that his brother gave the affirmative on Killing the Moon Spirit. 

He said WHAT?!














 
This brings me back to that thing that the Fire Lord said a while ago. Kill the Spirits. He never said through the whole conversation with Zhao that they would only be killing the One spirit. If he's ONLY going to be killing one then have him say it at the time when the scene is happening. Unless there was another time when the two were together and the Fire Lord went 'You know Zhao, maybe we should only kill the Moon spirit. Don't want to get.. greedy with the spirit murdering you know.” Otherwise, it just comes off as weird and 'Wha?' when it's done this way.

Don't show us a conversation between two people and have the incorrect information in it! Even if it does change later, SHOW IT, OR mention it better. So we're not left going 'You REALLY should have noticed that dudes.'

So the battle continues between Aang and Zuko until Katara arrives and finally beats Zuko in the most horrible way possible. 

Zukocicle.













 
Aaand now Zuko's dead. I know he's not a good guy but maybe you shouldn’t just leave him like that. Isn't he suffocating or something? Yes it was only a minute or so, but still, terrifying.

We also see that they leave without bothering with Zuko. Katara had no way of knowing that Aang would do what he did. She was willing to murder him, she never even looked back at Zuko, second guessing that maybe she SHOULD do something. She left as quickly as she could.

Well at least Aang took initiative and he can breathe again. Aang leaves, giving a final 'we could be friends you know'. Really Aang? I'm sure that is NOT what Zuko wants to hear.

Psychological Warfare.














Ohh goodness, I can't say enough about the way this animal looks. I have a feeling he should be cute to look at, but he's kind of not?

Oh no! Zhao and them have made it to where the Spirits are! I hope they can avoid him, by swimming to safety! 

Gotcha!













 
This has to be the laziest fish ever. Or Zhao is the greatest fisher man ever.

Okay yes, they're like this to teach kindness and humility but still, Come on Spirits. You've gotta have SOME way to protect yourself right? What happens if some hobo... frozen yes.. but a hobo came in and decided he wanted fish to eat? Is there really no good protection? Of course the Ocean spirit fled immediately while the Moon just sorta freaked out as soon as it was too late.

It's MINE!














Zhao looks a little worse for wear here. Being caught with a fish in the bag by Yue, Sokka and Katara while Iroh goes on about not doing this and world balance stuffs.

There is something wrong here. I'm sure sure what it is. I'm not saying it's acting, there's something wrong with Zhao. His confidence is shaken. Now you can say it's because he's on the cusp of doing something world changing. Then again, he could just be getting drunk with power that he is about to kill the freakin' Moon Spirit. His words and voice lack the strength that they normally do, and it is very noticeable. While he speaks of having to do this, for the Fire Nation.

“The Fire Nation is too powerful to worry about children's superstitions...”

If it's a superstition, then why not just leave the fish? Or are they meaning that it's a superstition that the world will become unbalanced? I'm sure it's the latter but still it seems pretty weak. You'd think that if a spirit could possibly have that much sway on a people and a thing, that killing it would be a big no no.

He has to build up to actually doing it, his line before the stab is 'We are now the gods'.

Everyone's Unhappy!















Okay I love Iroh but. Dammit Iroh! Why didn't you do anything? You were RIGHT there. You could see Zhao psyching himself up to do it. Iroh seems to know how serious the death of a Spirit fish would be. And yet,nothing happens. He just stands there and watches Zhao kill it and then yells NO! At which point he has what I'd like to call 'Monster Transformation.

Shouldn't have killed that fish Zhao!













 
Everyone runs off in a huge Panic at Iroh doing this. Which is understandable. Someone even going so far as to say 'He's making fire out of nothing'. So yeah, this has clearly pissed Iroh off. Zhao runs off like a little wussy and Iroh calms the hell down, now that he has scared off everyone but Sokka and Katara and Yue. Who hasn't quite gotten up yet.
 
Hey dude, you okay?














And how did the fish get out of the bag? I suppose he dropped it into the water, bag and all and the bag sunk off? Also do spirits not bleed? Even a little bit? It was a fish right? It if could be killed with a knife, then it was mortal, which should mean that it should be bleeding fish blood everywhere in the water.
... and then they sat down for a picnic. The End.














We get to see what kind of person Iroh is. Sure he's not a fish saving person, but he is a good guy. He talks about what has happened and how terrible it is.

Also on a side note, I can see that the bag is on the ground next to Iroh... I'm not sure how it and the fish got parted but it apparently happened and we're not supposed to think much of it.

Iroh, seems to know that Yue was saved by the Moon Spirit. He says that she can give her life back to the spirits and all can be made right again. Because nothing is truly lost.

Shut up old man! Shut up! SHUT UP!













 
There's a very devil and angel on the shoulders shot here. Find it amusing, that the guy from the Fire Nation who talks about the 'pretty girls' a lot is the voice of reason here, over the youth that comes from a Water Tribe.

Anyway, Iroh is very convincing, since he knows his stuff, and Yue decides to give herself to the cause.

I am POSITIVE that if we had seen more of Sokka and Yue's relationship, I'd have more emotional feeling of her sacrificing herself to the cause to make things right. It's noble, giving up the life you were given so something can have it's back, but just the lack of scenes with these two people makes that leap hard to do.

So with that, Yue gives her life back to the fish, and the moon is once again white blue and balance is restored.

Just think, this could have all been avoided had the fish just made themselves into a magical fish that could suddenly balloon into sharks. Or maybe snow gorillas, or ANY OTHER ANIMAL than a Fish. Hell, it could still be fine as a Koi had it ONLY LEFT when the other did. I'm sure the Moon Spirit will never live this down, constantly being reminded of it by the Ocean spirit who had the common sense to swim the fuck away.

Oh yeah, Sokka isn't going to live this down either and it'll probably haunt him forever.... 

If I puff up like an Owl, he wont come after me!













 
Outside, Zhao has run into Zuko, who he isn't quite happy at seeing. I think we can all guess why. He also looked a little skiddish and he gets it all together due to Iroh's reaction that this is no new news to the older man.

Thanks to Iroh, Zuko does back down and walk away with him. Then out of the biggest, not jackassy, but pussy thing to do, Zhao then tries to throw fire at Zuko. Zhao... you really are not a smart man are you? Did you JUST try to kill the son of a man who you just saw do fire without fire around? Really? God damn, somehow this jack ass idiot with the big mouth has just turned into an idiot. I want some kind of explanation of 'Spirit Dementia' surely killing a Spirit can't not have some sort of side effect. Seriously WHAT HAPPEND? Maybe he did get drunk with the power of killing it and now he's just gone loony. Or his thoughts of grandeur about immortality have finally rot his brain.

You have no idea what you're messing with.













 
And who are these four water benders? They aren't even the hero's. But this shot is built up and shown in such a way where it's like they are or are people we SHOULD know. I kinda want to know who they are, they're pretty epic looking. Also, The one with the hat, actually dodged a fire attack that Zhao threw at them. Mind you it wasn't a leap out of the way dodge, but it was still a little something. Something more than I've seen in this Movie where everyone either blocks with their bending and if they can't do that, they get hit by it.

These four awesome guys then go through their long bending stances, and attack Zhao in a way that he can't defend himself from. Still he does take off his coat, like he IS actually going to try to fight them. Not that it goes anywhere.

I really would like to have seen an actual Fight between these guys. Zhao is supposed to be some sort of bad ass right? So far the most impressive One on One fight, has been Zuko and Aang from before. Or, the one where it's... Zuko as the Blue Spirit and Aang... I sense favoritism here.... Hell the NEXT fight that's all slow motion filled, is ALSO pretty much, Only showing Aang.

If I stay RIGHT here, I think I'll be okay.













 
Okay what the hell? RUN you idiot! Even if you don't make it to safety, at lest TRY, and he's not even taking this like a man. He's like, full body wincing. AVOID it! Geebus. Does nobody in this movie know how to dodge? There are ways to NOT get hit by something! It's like everyone in this universe has weak ankles or bad knees or heart problems so they can't move when they REALLY should be moving. Dammit man!

I'd have screenshots but, you can't really see slow motion unless there's ya know. Motion. But there is a lot. I love fight scenes, and I do like me some slow motion but... I don't really see the slow mo as being a necessity here.

One Aang to rule them all.













 
We have another montage of Aang growing up with his Monk family, to the point of him having chosen the toys that mark him as the Avatar. We finally see when Aang ran away.

Now for the sheer size of what he's doing right now, I will allow the 'long bending'. 

Oh shit!














A huge wall of water. I was seriously expecting something ya know, huge to happen? I don't expect deaths all over the place but, is that really all that's being done with this thing? A wall of intimidation? I know it was saying about not hurting people but, at least crash it into the waves a bit? A little bit of an upset? Anything else? The Fire Nation ships all flee, as Aang slowly and ever so carefully lowers the huge wave, back into the sea.

I wonder did all the fire nation soldiers really get back to their ships somehow? With a big wave of water rising up they would have been pushed away, but they all fled somewhere. Unless they've just accepted death... and jumped into the ocean.

The big thing is that Aang has saved the day! And now, everyone is doing the big kneeling. Which is the thing that seemed to scare him off back when he left the Monks.

Maybe they're mixed in, kneeling in the crowd somewhere...

I don't know if I can do this...














I don't think I'd want my Avatar savior to look quit so worried... He's the freakin' avatar right? Supposedly this huge force? Even as a kid I'd like him to look a bit more sure. Especially after he just saved everyone. It kinda seems like maybe, he wishes he didn't save everyone.

It's not quite over yet! One last scene of the Fire Lord talking to someone. He knows that Zhao is dead, that his brother is a Traitor and that his son is a Failure. Okay... what did Iroh do exactly that was traitorous? Nobody else saw Zuko but Zhao, who was killed. Getting upset at the death of the spirit? Is that traitorous? It's not like he STOPPED Zhao from doing it. I don't know what Iroh did to be labeled this.

Now we hear about this Sozens Comet being mentioned and it's return in 3 years. That sounds pretty ominous, and apparently everyone will be able to do what Iroh did on his own. Which sounds pretty damn awesome.

So apparently this crazy young lady will be taking up quest to hunt down Aang. If only to prevent him from learning Earth and Fire.
Well that's no a healthy expression now is it?














 
I want to know more about this girl, she looks like an absolute nut case. So he has a banished son, banished by his own doing, and a crazy daughter.

Clearly this movie is only the beginning. What with the ominousness of the '3 years' thing. I can say that if and when the next movie comes out. I will watch it, and I will review it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So now we're at the end of the Review and the big question is. How as this movie?

Well. I won't say it's a master piece, I can't even call it good.

Would I recommend this to friends to watch Seriously? Maybe to a few, I know people who would watch it at face value and, I'm sure they'd get some enjoyment out of it.

Would I watch this again willingly? Oh yes I would. Despite all the things I nitpicked about, I have watched this movie all the way through I think, 6 times, excluding the theatrical viewing of it. I am one of those people who would watch it for the 'wrong' reasons if there is such a thing. But I would have fun commenting and doing my own version of MST3K with my friends.

Things felt stilted and rushed, other parts were awkward and there are many times when it feels like the emotion in a scene was not getting across the way that it was hoped it would. The inconsistencies within the movie were maddening from my point of view.

The main animal, Appa was weird and kinda scary to look at. I'm not saying everything has to be cute, but it feels like that, they could have chosen something else? Something that wasn't quite so... nightmare fuelish? Also, why even bother having the flying lemur? I'm not sure what his point was to even be there was. He could have done something right? Besides fly around and bat at the spirit fish only to be scolded by Aang.

There were scenes that were hilarious for all the wrong reasons.

I will say I loved the locations. They looked like they actually did exist for the most part and weren't all completely CGI, which is something that's so heavily done this day in age. The effects for the most part were alright. I preferred the Earth, Fire and Air bending to Water. I know movies have had CG water, and really good looking water. Not that it was terrible at all. Just, I liked the others more.


No comments:

Post a Comment